Great Blue Heron
Nest structure Plan and Information
Select another species:
Download Nest Structure Plan 1636 downloads
Nesting RangeSource: BNA Online
Attach Nest Box To
Known Nesting Period
Some Nesting Occurence
Nesting in Most of Range
Nest Box Placement
- Up to three nest platforms can be placed on each pole, spaced about 4' apart and staggered at 180-degree intervals.
- Place the highest platform at the top of the post.
- Place a few branches on the platform.
- Choose a location near an existing colony with clay soils where water depth is not more than 4.5' deep.
- Plant the pole to a depth of 6.5'.
- The best time to install the pole is January through March.
- Great Blue Herons nest in colonies, so multiple platforms can be installed in an area.
- Choose a location where herons will be protected from human disturbance (approximately 300–600' from pedestrian or boat launch areas).