Nest box Plan and Information
Select another species:
Download Nest Box Plan 1980 downloads
Species in decline
This species is in decline in certain regions. You can put up a nest box to help if you live in the right region and habitat.
- Not declining
- Not present
Nesting RangeSource: BNA Online
Attach Nest Box To
- Dead Tree
- Live tree
Known Nesting Period
Nest Box Placement
Nest Box Measurements
Width & Length:
- Nest boxes should be located within 16' of or directly over standing or slow-moving water.
- Prefers low-lying areas that are easily flooded.
- Place the box in an area with shade.
- If placing the box in the water, the box should be 3–5' above the high water level and oriented so that it's facing land.
- Sink the pole 2' into the mud for stability, and locate 10–20' from the shore.
- Whether on land or over water, install a predator guard to prevent raccoons and snakes from entering the box.
- Pine seems to be the preferred material for nest boxes.
- Prothonotary Warblers are usually very tolerant of human activity in their territory.