Nest box Plan and Information
Select another species:
Download Nest Box Plan 1010 downloads
Species in decline
This species is in decline in certain regions. You can put up a nest box to help if you live in the right region and habitat.
- Not declining
- Not present
Nesting RangeSource: BNA Online
- Open Woodland
Attach Nest Box To
- Dead Tree
- Live tree
Known Nesting Period
Nest Box Placement
South or East
Nest Box Measurements
Width & Length:
- If competition with bluebirds arises over nest boxes, place another box nearby (20–25' away) for the bluebird.
- Clean the nest box out once the swallows are finished.
- Violet-green Swallows benefit from a "fledgling ladder" inside the nest box, under the entrance hole. This can be a series of shallow horizontal kerf cuts (which looks like a ladder) or a piece of hardware cloth stapled to the inside of the box. A fledgling ladder helps nestlings get their footing and climb out of the box.
- Install a predator guard to keep predators out.
- Violet-green Swallows line their nest with feathers, and more feathers can enhance chick survival. You can provide chicken feathers in the area for swallows to add to their nests, and they may even snatch them up before they hit the ground.