Nest structure Plan and Information
Select another species:
Download Nest Structure Plan 3367 downloads
Nesting RangeSource: BNA Online
Attach Nest Box To
Known Nesting Period
Some Nesting Occurence
Nesting in Most of Range
Nest Box Placement
1–2 structures per 3 acres of open water
Away from prevailing wind
- Both urban and wild populations readily nest in artificial nesting structures.
- This nest structure helps guard against flooding and ground predators.
- Place the hen house in shallow water, approximately 3–5' from nearby emergent vegetation.
- The hen house should be mounted 3' above the high-water mark.
- Replace the hay lining of the cylinder in early spring before nesting begins.